Melktert is a South African custard tart. It does not require any baking so if you do not have an oven this tart can be easily made. The cinnamon sprinkled over the top of the tart changes it from a custard tart to a Melktert.
1 pkt tennis biscuits or graham crackers. Tennis biscuits have coconut in them so I would add some dessicated coconut if you are using graham crackers
4 tbls butter or margarine.
1. Crush the biscuits/crackers till powdery.
2. Add the melted butter/marg and mix well.
3. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a large pyrex rectangular dish until the entire dish is coated with an even layer.
4 cups milk
2 1/2 tbls flour
2 1/2 tbls cornflour
1 cup sugar
5 ml vanilla extract
1 tbls butter/margarine
1. Pour the milk and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Mix the eggs, flour, cornflour & vanilla together in a separate mixing bowl.
3. Remove the boiling milk from the heat and slowly add to the egg mixture stirring all the time.
4. Return the mixture to the saucepan and put it back on the heat, stir until the mixture thickens to a thick custard (coats the back of the spoon).
5. Add the butter/margarine and beat in.
6. Pour into the biscuit/cracker shell.
7. Sprinkle with cinnamon to coat the surface.
8. Allow to cool and refrigerate before serving.
9. Remove from the fridge 10 minutes before serving.