My family love home made gefilte fish. I use 2 kgs minced/ground fish and make half into gefilte and the rest into fried fish balls. When my son was much younger he would not eat carrots so I mince/grind my own fresh fish and add fried onions to the mixture, which makes it sweeter. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine do.
2 kgs (4 1/2 lbs) filleted fish. (I use hake/stockfish but any white fish will do)
Ask the fishmonger for the head, skin & bones (these are used for the stock)
3 large onions, sliced and fried in 4 tbls oil
1 tbls flour or matzoh meal
2 tbls matzo meal
2 tsp salt
2 tsp seafood/fish seasoning
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup ice cold water
1. Cut the fish fillets into chuncks.
2. Place a handful of fish into a food processor at a time and grind the fish for a few seconds till the fish is chopped. Repeat until all fish is ground.Remove the fish and place it in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the fried onions and oil and blend till chopped finely, add this mixture to the fish in the mixing bowl.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix very well. At this stage I taste the fish to check for seasoning…Yes I do like raw minced fish and this step might not be for everyone!
5. Prepare the stock. I still prepare the full amount even though I fry half.
6. Place 8 – 10 cups of water in a large pot
7. Add the rinsed skin, head and bones.
8. Slice 3 onions and add these to the stock, I add the skin of the onion which gives the stock a good colour.
9. Add 1 tsp salt, dash of pepper and 1 tsp sugar.
10. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
11. Strain the stock and add 3 peeled and sliced carrots.
12. Use a bowl of water to wet your hand (this prevents the fish mixture from sticking) and shape the fish mixture into balls and carefully place into the hot stock
13. Cook over gentle heat for 1 1/2 hours.
14. Leave to cool in the pot.
15. Remove the fish balls and place them into a platter dish with sides – pyrex dishes work best. 16. Place a sliced cooked carrot on top of each ball.
17. Pour the liquid around the fish balls. It should set into a jelly from the skin, bones and head. 18. Place in the refrigerator.
For the fish cakes:
1. Heat oil in a frying pan.
2. Shape the fish mixture into patties or balls and frytill golden.