Love a slice of lemon cake with a hot cup of tea. This recipe is a basic butter cake with the addition of lemon rind and juice. It can also be made into a marble or chocolate cake.
1 1/2 cups castor sugar
1 tbls lemon rind
2 1/2 cups cake/all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water ( for butter cake use 1/2 cup water, no lemon juice)
4 jumbo eggs
4 tsp baking powder
1. preheat oven to 350 (180)
2. Cream butter, lemon rind and castor sugar until light & fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat very well after each egg to get rid of curdled effect. Beating very well at this stage will give you a very light cake.
4. Sift dry ingredients and mix into creamed mixture together with the liquid in 3 batches. Mix till the batter is smooth.
5. Grease and line 2 loaf pans or two deep 23cm round pans or a large tube pan. Pour in the batter and bake for about 30 minutes. If using the large tube pan bake for 45-55 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
7. Drizzle with the following icing when cool.
Mix together 1 1/2 cups icing/superfine sugar with enough lemon juice to make a pourable icing. Drizzle over the cake.