When berries are in season I always make jam. Nothing nicer than a scone with home made jam & cream or a slice of toast with jam & cheese.
1 kg (2.2 lbs) Fruit
750g /1.65 lbs) Sugar
25 ml (5tsp) lemon juice.
1. Remove stems of fruit. Wash well.
2. Pack fruit and sugar in alternate layers in a stainless steel or enamel saucepan, cover and leave overnight.
3. Heat very slowly, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Add the lemon juice.
4. Boil rapidly until the jam is ready, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
5. Test the jam using one or both methods to see if it is ready.
6. Remove from heat and place a little jam on a chilled plate and allow to cool – if it is done it should set & crinkle when pushed with your finger. Using a sugar thermometer the temperature if the jam should be 5C (9F) higher than boiling water. i.e. 105 C (221F)
7. Skim the surface of the jam to remove the foam and pour into hot, sterilized bottles. Seal immediately.