I can never have enough of this sauce. I make a large batch and freeze in small zip seal bags pushing all the air out. So useful for Bolognese, vegetable or meat lasagne, puttanesca sauce or even served with fried eggs.
ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE (NEOPOLITANA SAUCE)
4 Tbls Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic – Crushed
800g Italian Tinned Tomatoes
½ Cup White Wine – Optional
1 Large Yellow Onion – Peeled And Chopped
½ Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 tbls Italian Herbs – Rubbed Between Your Hands To Release The Flavours
1. In a large pot heat the oil and add the onion & garlic. Do not brown the garlic as it goes bitter when browned.
2. When the onion is translucent add the tomatoes, sugar, salt & pepper, wine and mixed herbs.
3. Simmer for 45 minutes with the lid off. Stirring occasionally.
4. When cool freeze portions in zip lock bags.
5. This is a basic Neapolitana sauce. Use it as a base for pasta with vegetables either sautéed or grilled.
6. Can add a touch of cream for a Rose sauce.
7. Can also be used when making Chicken or Beef or Vegetable lasagna.