ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE (NEOPOLITANA SAUCE)
4 Tbls Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic – Crushed
800g Italian Tinned Tomatoes
½ Cup White Wine – Optional
1 Large Yellow Onion – Peeled And Chopped
½ Tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 tbls Italian Herbs – Rubbed Between Your Hands To Release The Flavours
1. In a large pot heat the oil and add the onion & garlic. Do not brown the garlic as it goes bitter when browned.
2. When the onion is translucent add the tomatoes, sugar, salt & pepper, wine and mixed herbs.
3. Simmer for 45 minutes with the lid off. Stirring occasionally.
4. When cool freeze portions in zip lock bags.
5. This is a basic Neapolitana sauce. Use it as a base for pasta with vegetables either sautéed or grilled.
6. Can add a touch of cream for a Rose sauce.
7. Can also be used when making Chicken or Beef or Vegetable lasagna.