I like to mix everything by hand in a large mixing bowl with a whisk. These challahs come out beautifully.
7 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Package Instant Yeast
1 Egg, Lightly Beaten
½ Cup Canola Oil
1 Tbsp Salt
½ cup plus 1 Tbsp Sugar
2 Cups Warm Water
1 Egg, Lightly Beaten
1. In a large mixing bowl whisk together 1 Tbsp of sugar with the yeast and warm water. Leave it to rest for 10 mins, it should become foamy.
2. Add the remaining sugar and salt, whisk until dissolved.
3. Now add 3 cups of flour and whisk until incorporated.
4. Add the lightly beaten egg and oil, mix well.
5. At this stage you can slowly start adding the remaining 4 cups of flour. When the dough starts to become too thick, remove the whisk and start using your hands.
6. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and start kneading until the dough is no longer sticky.
7. Once no longer sticky, knead the dough for at least 10 minutes. You know it’s ready when you push your finger into the dough and it springs back on it’s own.
8. Place the dough into a large oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap.
9. Wrap with a blanket around the bowl and place in a warm spot for 1-2 hours, punch down the dough every so often and let it finally rise until it’s doubled in size.
10. Once doubled in size, punch down the dough and braid into challahs.
11. Place the challah on the baking sheet and lightly cover with cling wrap.
12. Let the braided challah rise for about 30 minutes.
13. At this point, preheat your oven to 180°C/375°F
13. Carefully brush with egg wash, you can leave them plain, sprinkle with sesame seeds or cinnamon sugar. Whichever you prefer.
14. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turn off the oven and leave the challah in for another 10 minutes.
15. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
One thought on “Challah”
Welcome back , will make the challahs and post a pic Love Shirley
On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 at 4:32 am, Oceans Between Kitchens wrote:
> Candice posted: “I like to mix everything by hand in a large mixing bowl > with a whisk. These challahs come out beautifully. INGREDIENTS 7 Cups All > Purpose Flour 1 Package Instant Yeast 1 Egg, Lightly Beaten ½ Cup Canola > Oil 1 Tbsp Salt ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp Sugar 2 Cups War” >