Makes 12 Pretzels
3 1/2 cups Gluten Free Flour
2 Tsp Instant Yeast
1 1/4 Tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 1/4 cups Warm Water (plus extra if needed)
1 Large Egg (room temp)
2 Tbsp Butter or Vegan Butter (I prefer Fleischmanns)
BAKING SODA DIP
3 quarts (3 liters) water
1/4 cup Baking Soda
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 Tbsp Water
1. Combine the flour, sugar, yeast, salt, xanthin gum, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer.
2. Add the water, egg and butter. Mix until a firm dough forms, about 4 minutes in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. If the dough appears to be dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or enough for it to form a soft pliable dough.
3. Knead the dough until smooth, then transfer to a lightly greased bowl. Cover will cling wrap and a kitchen towel and let rise until almost doubled, 1 hour – 1.5 hours.
Shaping and Baking
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F/ 280°C.
2.Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line them with parchment.
3. Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a large pot.
4. Remove dough from bowl and divide into 12 pieces. If dough is sticky, lightly flour kitchen surface.
5. Work with one pice at a time, keeping the other pieces covered. Roll the piece out and shape into a pretzel. Watch this video on how to shape pretzels.
4. Add the baking soda and sugar to the boiling water and wait for the foam to subside.
7.Gently place the pretzels one at a time into the water, they will initially drop to the bottom and then they will rise. If they don’t rise within 5-10 seconds, use a slotted spoon to nudge them from sticking on the bottom. They can removed when as soon as they float to the top.
8. Remove the pretzels form the water and place on baking sheet. Brush with egg yolk wash and sprinkle with salt (or leave plain if you’re making them sweet).
9. Bake the pretzels until golden brown about 10-15 mins.
10. If you choose to make cinnamon sugar pretzels, brush with melted butter as soon as you remove from the oven and dip into cinnamon sugar mix.