1 Cup Castor Sugar
2 Eggs, Room Temperature
1 Tbls Smooth Apricot Jam
1 ¼ Cups Cake Flour
1 Tsp Bicarb of Soda
Pinch of Salt
2 Tbls Butter
1 Tsp Vinegar
½ Cup Milk
1 Cup Cream
½ Cup Butter
½ Cup Sugar
½ Cup Water, Orange Juice or Brandy
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F
- Add the sugar and eggs to a medium sized mixing bowl. Using an electric or hand beater, beat castor sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Add apricot jam and beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients 3 times in a separate bowl.
- Melt butter and add to vinegar and milk in a third bowl.
- Fold dry ingredients and milk mixture alternatively into egg mixtures.
- Once fully combined, pour mixture into a greased oven proof casserole/pyrex dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- During the last 15 minutes of baking, melt all the sauce ingredients in a small pot over medium heat. Do not boil.
- Pour this sauce over the cake as soon as it’s removed from the oven, use a fork to aid absorption.
- Serve hot with ice cream or custard.
TIPS FOR MAKING GLUTEN FREE/DAIRY FREE
- GLUTEN FREE:
Substitute regular flour for gluten free flour.
- DAIRY FREE:
Substitute butter with Vegan Butter/Parev Margarine
Substitute milk with non dairy milk alternative – I used Cashew Milk
Substitute cream with Rich’s Non Dairy Whip Topping/Orly Whip