¼ Cup Sake
¼ Cup Mirin
4 Tablespoons Saikyo Miso (or White Miso)
2 Tablespoons Sugar
4 Pieces Black Cod Fillets about 1/2 Pound/250 Grams Each (Also known as Sablefish – You can also substitute Salmon, Seabass or similar)
Oil for cooking
- Make marinade (per below) and marinate fish 1-2 days in advance. If you are short on time, let it marinate for at least a few hours.
- Combine the mirin and sake in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 20 seconds to allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Turn the heat to low and whisk in the miso paste and sugar.
- Whisk over medium heat without letting the mixture boil until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Pat the fish fillets dry with paper towel. Slather the fish with the marinade and place in a glass/porcelain dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and leave to marinate for 1-2 days.
To Cook the Fish
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200 °C
- Heat an oven-proof skillet over high heat on the stove.
- Lightly wipe off any excess miso clinging to the fillets, but don’t rinse it off. Discard excess marinade from fish.
- Place a small amount of oil in the pan, once hot add the fish skin-side-up to the pan and cook until the bottom of the fish browns and caramelizes in spots, about 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until the other side is browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven (Skin-side down) and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until fish is opaque and flakes easily.
- Serve with vegetables and rice.