5 cups Cake or all purpose flour
1 pkt (10grams) instant yeast
1/2 cup Sugar
1 1/4 cups Milk or Soya Milk
125grams (1/4lb) Butter or Parev Margarine
2 Eggs – beaten
Apricot Jam – Jelly
1 cup Sugar mixed with 2 tbls Cinnamon
1/4 cup melted Butter or Margarine.
1 egg beaten
A Streusel made with 1/4 cup Butter or Margarine, 1/4 cup Flour & 1/4 cup sugar mixed to a crumble.
Oven 180°C / 350°F
1. Using a mixmaster place sifted flour, sugar and yeast in the bowl.
2. Heat the milk and butter/Marge in the microwave till warm and butter melted. Do not bring to the boil as the hot liquid will kill the yeast.
3. Pour the warm liquid and the eggs over the flour mixture and using the dough hook knead the mixture. You may need extra flour if the dough looks sticky and does not leave the sides.
4. Let it knead for 12 minutes.
5. Place the dough in a large oiled bowl and cover with plastic. Cover with a blanket and leave to rise until doubled in size about an hour.
6. Punch down and divide mixture in half.
7. Roll out into a large rectangle.
8. Melt the butter for the filling and paint over the dough then paint with apricot jam/jelly. Sprinkle half the cinnamon sugar. Roll up tightly.
1. Cut into 1 inch slices.
2. Spray a muffin pan with non stick spray and place cut side up in muffin pan.
3. Bake BOULKAS for 20 minutes or till golden.
4. Once golden remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
1. Paint the roll with butter and fold in half and twist together.
2. Spray a long loaf pan with non stick spray, place layer of baking paper in pan and respray.
3. Place Babka in pan. Cover and leave to rise until double in size. About an hour.
4. Carefully paint with egg and sprinkle with either cinnamon sugar or streusel mixture.
5. Bake Babka for 40 minutes till golden.
6. Once golden remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.